Contemporary romances that sizzle with sensual tension and bring to life a world of wealth, glamour and high stakes drama.
The stories feature strong-but-vulnerable alpha heroes and dynamic, successful heroines. Falling in love for these characters often means difficult choices and conflicts that aren’t easily resolved.
Desire reads are powerful, passionate and provocative with intense, soap opera-like plots.
We look for Desire novels that have:
- Intense, dramatic soap opera-like story lines
- Classic romance hooks mixed with juicy, unique elements
- Sizzling sensual tension between the hero and heroine
- High-stakes conflicts (emotional and/or external) drive the plot
- Every story includes the sense of a bigger world—extended families, corporations, brotherhoods, best friends, partners, secret societies
- Every story should sweep the reader into a wealthy world with details about parties, houses and clothing
- Stories are primarily set in North America
- A unique author voice that sets the tone for each story
- Sexual language that leans more euphemistic and romantic rather than explicit
- An emotional roller coaster ride for the reader—from sizzling sensuality to surprise to laughter and tears
- Characters with believable, sympathetic motivations
- A big emotional payoff
- No paranormal or romantic suspense elements, and no sheikhs or royalty at this time
- 50,000 words in length
Featured in Harlequin Desire:
A powerful and wealthy hero—an alpha male with a sense of entitlement, and sometimes arrogance. Beneath his alpha exterior, he displays vulnerability, and he is capable of being saved by the heroine. The Harlequin Desire hero often has fewer scenes from his point of view, but in many ways, he owns the story. Readers should want to fall in love with and rescue the Harlequin Desire hero themselves!
The Harlequin Desire heroine knows who she is and what she wants. She is complex and can be vulnerable herself. She is strong-willed and smart, though capable of making mistakes when it comes to matters of the heart. The heroine is equally as important as the hero, if not more so.
Harlequin Desire stories should take place against the dramatic backdrop of wealthy settings and sweeping family saga. The hero and heroine are not isolated from outside influences, even in forced proximity stories. External factors impact the relationship. Their loyalties, goals and personal lives affect their emotions and influence the development of the romance.
Harlequin Desire is…
Revenge or Scandal or Blood and Oil or Billions or Empire for their wealthy and glamorous settings, intense story arcs that sometimes span generations and highly dramatic, larger-than-life conflicts that characters address in a believable way.
Did You Know?
- There are 6 new Harlequin Desire books available each month
- Follow #HarlequinDesire on Twitter to hear from Desire authors and editors
- Interact with authors, editors and readers on the Desire Authors Facebook Page
- Follow the Harlequin Desire editors on Twitter -- @Stacy_Boyd and @CharlieGrim
Read what we're publishing.
Need recommendations? Here's a great start:
- SEDUCE ME, COWBOY by New York Times bestselling author Maisey Yates
- SAVANNAH’S SECRETS by Reese Ryan
- THE BABY CLAIM by USA TODAY bestselling author Catherine Mann
- LONE STAR LOVERS by Jessica Lemmon
While we publish secret baby and secret pregnancy stories, we're not actively seeking those hooks right now. However, if you have a sexy, dramatic book where the baby is mostly off-page and presents conflict for the couple, we're open to reviewing it. The baby elements should not feel too warm, tender or domestic, and the baby shouldn't interfere with the highly sensual romantic relationship. Please see TAMING THE TEXAN by Jules Bennett and BOMBSHELL FOR THE BOSS by Maureen Child for examples of how to include children and babies in Desire.
Senior Editor: Stacy Boyd
Editor: Charles Griemsman
Editorial Office: NY, NY