Wholesome contemporary romances that celebrate traditional values, strong communities, family connections and true love.
Heartwarming Key Elements
- Clean, emotional, satisfying romances that readers can
feel comfortable sharing with their friends and family of all ages.
- Romance, family and community are strong features of
- Characters demonstrate traditional values, but exhibit
flaws and overcome hurdles similar to those in other contemporary series
romances. We welcome characters and themes with a diverse range of cultural backgrounds and challenges
- Conflict between the main characters should be an
emotional one, arising naturally from the story
- Plots unfold in a wholesome style and voice that
excludes explicit sex or nudity, pre-marital sex, profanity, or graphic
depictions of violence: references to violent incidents or pre-marital sex
in the past are acceptable if they contribute to character development
- Physical interactions (i.e. kissing/hugging) should
emphasize emotional tenderness rather than sexual desire or sensuality:
low level of sexual tension; characters should not make love unless they
- No paranormal
- No explicit religious or Christian content
- Word count of 70,000 to 75,000 allows for breadth and
complexity of story, and development of compelling sub-plots.
For explanations and tips about
conflict, dialogue and emotion please click on How to Write the Perfect Romance
Harlequin Heartwarming is…
Similar in tone and feel to movies and
TV shows like Sleepless in Seattle, Parenthood and Enough Said.
Read what we're publishing.
The Promise of Rain by Rula Sinara
Return to Pelican Inn by Dana Mentink
Risk of Falling by Syndi Powell
Man of His Word by Cynthia Reese
The Better Man by Amy Vastine
Did You Know?
- Harlequin is one of the first publishers to recognize
the growing clean romance market, publishing four original Heartwarming
books each month.
- The editors are looking for both new authors and
- Heartwarming books are available digitally and in mass
market paperback through Harlequin.com and membership in our book club.
Find More Information At…
Senior Editor: Victoria Curran @VictoriaCurran2
Editor: Kathryn Lye @Lye1892
Assistant Editor: Claire Caldwell @cpmcaldwell
Administrative Assistant: Deirdre McCluskey @Deirdre33
Editorial Office: Toronto, Canada