Richly textured, emotionally intense novels set across a wide range of historical periods—from ancient civilisations up to and including the 1950s.
We are committed to publishing for our diverse global readership, and are actively seeking to acquire underrepresented authors, as well as stories which explore underrepresented perspectives on popular time periods.
As with all Harlequin series, we read all submissions and you do not need to have an agent to submit.
Harlequin Historical Key Elements
- Strong and dynamic characters with believable, relatable conflicts, appropriate for the time in which they are set.
- Central relationship as the driving force of the story.
- We are happy to consider LGBTQ+ protagonists for the central romance.
- Historical research and accuracy are essential to bring the world to life! But remember to focus on the romance.
- All levels of sensuality are considered—from the tingling sensation you experience when a wet-shirted Mr. Darcy rises from the lake, to the explicit bedroom romps of Tudor times, whatever the level of sensuality, chemistry and sexual tension are vital.
- This series does not feature paranormal or timeslip elements.
- Regency, Victorian, Highlanders, Vikings, and Medieval are most popular amongst our readers globally. However there’s also room for variety – we're happy to publish stories from ancient civilisations all the way through to the 1950s, although we have ceased publication of Westerns as of January 2019.
- Word count: 70,000 - 75,000 words
Featured in Harlequin Historical
The main characters in the Harlequin Historical series bring the period to life and drive an entertaining, dramatic and emotional romance!
Examples of characters you’ll find in the series are a Regency rake with a wicked glint in his eye, a muscled warrior brandishing a sword, or a gorgeous kilted Highlander. Perhaps a spirited Viking shield-maiden, a scarred reclusive spinster, or a capable penniless governess. We have had spies in royal courts, Roman gladiators, and an Egyptian servant trapped in a pyramid!
Harlequin Historical is…
Outlander (without the time travel), the gritty drama of Vikings, the sizzling sensuality of The Tudors and Bridgerton, and the scandalous society drama of Downton Abbey!
Did You Know?
· We’re always looking for new stories. In particular, we want to see submissions from underrepresented romance authors, a sexy Regency, or a new perspective on any time period…
· Some of our most recent acquisitions include a Medieval marriage of convenience, a Georgian Highlander, a blues singer who meets her mobster hero in a 1920s speakeasy, and a Viking warrior who steals himself a princess on the eve of her wedding!
· There are six new Harlequin Historical books available each month.
Read what we're publishing.
Executive Editor: Bryony Green
Editor: Carly Byrne
Editorial Assistant: Awo Ibrahim
Editorial Office: London, UK
You can find the Historical team on Twitter! Follow @BryonyGreenHqn and @CarlyMbyrne, and check out #HarlequinHistorical. And see what our current authors are up to on the Harlequin Historical Books Facebook Page.
N.B. Please note that as per current editorial policy we ask that you do not submit more than one manuscript at a time for our consideration. Please be patient and wait for feedback before submitting your next project.