textured, emotionally intense novels set across a wide range of historical
periods - ancient civilizations up to and including the Second World War. We
welcome submissions set in varied, interesting locations and featuring
characters from all backgrounds and walks of life.
Historical Key Elements
- Strong and dynamic characters with believable,
relatable conflicts, appropriate for the time in which they are set.
- Central relationship as the driving force of the story.
- Historical research and accuracy are essential to bring
the world to life! But remember to focus on the romance.
- All levels of sensuality are considered. From the
tingling sensation you experience when a wet-shirted Mr. Darcy rises from
the lake, to the explicit bedroom romps of Tudor times, whatever the level
of sensuality, chemistry and sexual tension are vital.
- This series does not feature paranormal or timeslip
- Regency, Highlanders, Vikings, Medieval are most
popular amongst our readers globally. However there’s also room for variety
– we're happy to publish stories from ancient Greece to the Wild West and
all the way through to World War II.
- Western USA set novels are very popular in North
America so we publish one a month. At the moment we are well inventoried
but may have space for exceptional Western editorial.
- We welcome heroes and heroines from all backgrounds and
This is where
the alpha hero began! From a rake with a wicked glint in his eye to a
gasp-inducing muscled warrior brandishing a dagger, a gorgeous kilted
Highlander or a rugged, hard-working cowboy, there's a man for everyone!
Heroines should emotionally challenge the hero, and inspire reader sympathy, whether
they are spirited and willful, an innocent governess or a Viking female
of Russell Crowe's Gladiator,
the gritty drama of Vikings, the sizzling sensuality of The Tudors and Rome and the scandalous society drama
of Downton Abbey!
- In 2015 we acquired 5 brand-new authors for the
line and 2 in 2016.
- Some of our most recent acquisitions include sexy rakes
who run a Regency Gentlemen’s club, a story about a merchant – from
Venice! And a story about a Regency spy! What will you write?
- There are 6 new Harlequin Historical books available
Read what we're publishing.
Editor: Bryony Green
Associate Editor: Nicola Caws
Editorial Assistant: Sara Jafari
Editorial Office: London, UK
You can find
the Historical team on Twitter! Follow @BryonyGreenHqn, @NicolaCaws @SaraJafariHqn
and check out #HarlequinHistorical.
note that as per current editorial policy we ask that you do not submit more
than one manuscript at a time for our consideration. Please be patient and wait
for feedback before submitting your next project.