Richly textured, emotionally intense novels set across a wide range of historical periods - ancient civilizations up to and including the Second World War.
We are committed to publishing for our diverse global readership, and are actively seeking to acquire underrepresented authors, as well as stories which explore underrepresented perspectives on popular time periods.
As with all Harlequin series, we read all submissions and you do not need to have an agent to submit.
Harlequin Historical Key Elements
- Strong and dynamic characters with believable, relatable conflicts, appropriate for the time in which they are set.
- Central relationship as the driving force of the story.
- Historical research and accuracy are essential to bring the world to life! But remember to focus on the romance.
- All levels of sensuality are considered. From the tingling sensation you experience when a wet-shirted Mr. Darcy rises from the lake, to the explicit bedroom romps of Tudor times, whatever the level of sensuality, chemistry and sexual tension are vital.
- This series does not feature paranormal or timeslip elements.
- Regency, Highlanders, Vikings, Medieval are most popular amongst our readers globally. However there’s also room for variety – we're happy to publish stories from ancient Greece all the way through to World War II, though we have ceased publication of Westerns as of January 2019.
- Word length: 70,000 - 75,000 words
Featured in Harlequin Historical
This is where the alpha hero began! From a rake with a wicked glint in his eye to a gasp-inducing muscled warrior brandishing a dagger or a gorgeous kilted Highlander, there's a man for everyone! Heroines should emotionally challenge the hero, and inspire reader sympathy, whether they are spirited and willful, an innocent governess or a Viking shield maiden!
Harlequin Historical is…
The strength of Russell Crowe's Gladiator, the gritty drama of Vikings, the sizzling sensuality of The Tudors and Rome and the scandalous society drama of Downton Abbey!
Did You Know?
· We’re always looking for new stories. In particular, we want to see submissions from underrepresented romance authors, exciting new Medieval voices, gripping Viking romances and a fresh point of view on the traditional Regency!
· Some of our most recent acquisitions include...four stories set around a Highland castle, a heroine from the streets of London who travels to Venice with an Italian count for Carnival and a Viking who’s gifted a bride for yuletide!
· There are 6 new Harlequin Historical books available each month.
Read what we're publishing.
Executive Editor: Bryony Green
Associate Editor: Nicola Caws
Editorial Assistant: Sara Jafari
Editorial Office: London, UK
You can find the Historical team on Twitter! Follow @BryonyGreenHqn, @NicolaCaws @SaraJafariHqn and check out #HarlequinHistorical. And check out what our current authors are up to on the Harlequin Historical Books Facebook Page.
N.B. Please note that as per current editorial policy we ask that you do not submit more than one manuscript at a time for our consideration. Please be patient and wait for feedback before submitting your next project.