Richly textured, emotionally intense novels set across a wide range of historical periods - ancient civilizations up to and including the Second World War. We welcome submissions set in varied, interesting locations and featuring characters from all backgrounds and walks of
Harlequin Historical Key Elements
- Strong and dynamic characters with believable, relatable conflicts, appropriate for the time in which they are set.
- Central relationship as the driving force of the story.
- Historical research and accuracy are essential to bring the world to life! But remember to focus on the romance.
- All levels of sensuality are considered. From the tingling sensation you experience when a wet-shirted Mr. Darcy rises from the lake, to the explicit bedroom romps of Tudor times, whatever the level of sensuality, chemistry and sexual tension are vital.
- Variety is key in this line – we're happy to publish stories from ancient Greece to the Wild West and all the way through to the mid-twentieth century.
Featured in Harlequin Historical
This is where the alpha hero began! From a rake with a wicked glint in his eye to a gasp-inducing muscled warrior brandishing a dagger, a gorgeous kilted Highlander or a rugged, hard-working cowboy, there's a man for everyone! Heroines should emotionally challenge the hero, and inspire reader sympathy, whether they are spirited and willful, an innocent governess or a sword-wielding Samurai . . .
Harlequin Historical is…
The strength of Russell Crowe's Gladiator, the sizzling sensuality of The Tudors and Rome and the scandalous society drama of Downton Abbey!
Did You Know?
- In 2015 we acquired 5 brand-new authors for the
Some of our most recent acquisitions include sexy rakes on their Grand
Tour of Europe, courageous soldiers fresh from the battlefields of Waterloo and
a ‘mouse’ of a heroine who is nowhere as meek as her new husband believes. What
will you write?
- There are 6 new Harlequin Historical books available each month.
Read what we're publishing.
Senior Editor: Linda Fildew
Assistant Editor: Kathryn Cheshire
Editorial Assistant: Nicola Caws
Editorial Office: London, UK
You can find the Historical team on Twitter! Follow @lindafildew, @CheshireKat3, @NicolaCaws and check out #HarlequinHistorical.
N.B. Please note that as per current editorial policy we ask that
you do not submit more than one manuscript at a time for our consideration. Please be patient and wait for feedback
before submitting your next project.