Harlequin Intrigue books are for fans of novels by Sandra Brown, James Patterson and Iris Johansen. They are high-stakes thrillers and procedurals where determined characters go through a spectrum of tensions as they work to solve a crime.
Harlequin Intrigue Key Elements:
- Nail-biting thrillers that feature crime stories with complex plots that keep the reader guessing. Your manuscript should make the reader use her analytical skills to solve the crime. A page-turning edge-of-your-seat read is what we are looking for in a Harlequin Intrigue book.
- Tone is tense, dramatic, serious and exciting.
- Well motivated characters must work together in a high-stakes, fast-paced plot to resolve the crime.
- The level of sensuality in a Harlequin Intrigue book is low to moderate. However, the hero and heroine must share a palpable physical and emotional attraction and have a meaningful connection to the crime.
- Unexpected “a-ha” moments should be seeded throughout the text.
- The crime drama must be resolved and there should always be a satisfying conclusion to the romance by the end of every Harlequin Intrigue.
- Mainly North American settings (urban and small town) with some international travel.
- No graphic sexual details, explicit language or gratuitous violence in text.
- Word count of 55,000-60,000 words.
- Subplots should be kept to a minimum.
Featured in Harlequin Intrigue
Taut, edge-of-the-seat contemporary crime stories. Homicide investigations, kidnappings, stalkings are among the plots we offer coupled with a bestselling romance between two strong, equally matched protagonists. The Harlequin Intrigue hero is a determined detective, a special forces soldier, a relentless federal agent and willing to put everything on the line for justice and love. Strong, protective and capable, he is not afraid to break the rules in order to see justice done and to protect the innocent. And he is any enemy’s worst nightmare. The Harlequin Intrigue heroine is the hero’s equal. She is no-nonsense, resilient, confident, determined and empowered. From stories of psychological suspense to police procedures and exciting thrillers, Harlequin Intrigue books cover a wide range of intense crime drama.
Harlequin Intrigue is…
Bourne for pacing—fast and dangerous and exciting. Justified for the composition of the understated yet intense hero we like to see in a Harlequin Intrigue. CSI/SWAT for the kind of complex mystery and crime story that can lend itself to a solid and exciting romantic suspense novel.
Did You Know?
- Several New York Times bestselling authors have launched their careers with Harlequin Intrigue!
- There are six new Harlequin Intrigue books available each month.
Read what we're publishing.
Senior Editor: Denise Zaza
Editor: Allison Lyons
Assistant Editor: Connolly Bottum
Editorial Office: NY, NY