Crime stories tailored to the series romance market packed with a variety of thrilling suspense and whodunit mystery.
Harlequin Intrigue Key Elements:
- Crime-solving and a complex mystery are at the foundation of every Intrigue series romance novel
- Well motivated hero and heroine must work together in a high-stakes, fast-paced framework to resolve the mystery
- The hero and heroine must share a palpable physical and emotional attraction throughout
- Classic romance themes integrated with and integral to a suspenseful crime drama, mystery or thriller are critical to every Harlequin Intrigue novel
- North American settings
- No graphic sexual details, explicit language or gratuitous violence in text
- The mystery must be resolved and there should always be a satisfying conclusion to the romance by the novel's end
- Word count of 55,000 words
- Subplots should be kept to a minimum
For explanations and tips about conflict, dialogue and emotion please click on How to Write the Perfect Romance
Featured in Harlequin Intrigue
Taut, edge-of-the-seat contemporary romantic suspense tales of intrigue and desire. Kidnappings, stalkings, women in jeopardy coupled with bestselling romantic themes are all at the forefront of a Harlequin Intrigue novel. The Harlequin Intrigue hero is not afraid to break the rules in order to see justice done and to protect the innocent. The Harlequin Intrigue heroine is the no-nonsense, girl next door who may be caught up in dangerous circumstances. From stories of psychological suspense to murder mysteries and thrillers, the Harlequin Intrigue line covers a wide range of mystery-suspense novels.
Harlequin Intrigue is…
24 for pacing—fast and dangerous and exciting. Justified for the composition of the understated yet intense hero we like to see in an Intrigue. Unknown for the kind of complex mystery/thriller plot that can lend itself to a solid crime story and romance.
Did You Know?
- Debra Webb brings her bestselling Faces of Evil series to Harlequin Intrigue in 2016
- Podcasts from the Harlequin Intrigue editorial staff are available
- There are 6 new Harlequin Intrigue books available each month.
Read what we're publishing.
Senior Editor: Denise Zaza
Editor: Allison Lyons
Editorial Office: NY, NY