Intense and uplifting romances set in the medical world. Experience the breath-taking rollercoaster of emotions, ambitions and desires of today's medical professionals.
Harlequin Medical Romance Key Elements
Contemporary romance novels set in the medical world.
- Focus of the story must be on the development of the central romantic relationship against the backdrop of a contemporary medical setting.
- Strong, gorgeous, medical professional heroes at the top of their game with hearts of gold, and heroines to match.
- Heroes and heroines who work together in a medical setting – their working relationship, medical dramas etc. help to drive the romantic relationship.
- Contemporary, international medical settings are, however, integral to the story, and the central relationship should rise out of them.
- A range of sensuality from intensely passionate to warm and tender.
- An emotionally intense read, ranging from the traditional to the ground breaking.
- Innovative emotional conflicts and traditional emotional themes developed in a unique way are all welcome.
- Word count of 50,000.
For explanations and tips about conflict, dialogue and emotion please click on How to Write the Perfect Romance
Featured in Harlequin Medical Romance
A strong focus on the central romantic relationship. Relatable heroines and heroes in a medical setting – pulse-racing medical drama that throws them together is crucial. Dedicated top-notch docs, hot-shot surgeons, and equally matched, warm hearted, spirited, intelligent heroines, who reach all levels and areas of medical life. We find them everywhere – the ER, heart and transplant surgery, city hospitals, GP practices, paediatrics, Maternity, IVF clinics, jungle or outback settings, medical rescue. Doctors to the stars, royalty or presidents, etc. The characters, their romance, the settings and the drama must be appealing and accessible to a global readership.
Harlequin Medical Romance is…
House, Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice and Hawthorn for their tone, medical settings and scenarios, complex characters with strong romantic themes, great dialogue and lives and hearts on the edge. However, the key difference is that the focus of each Medical Romance story is first and foremost a heart-racing romance. The novels offer a wealth of experiences: from the high-octane excitement of the ER to the warmth of family GP practice.
Did You Know?
…Carol Marinelli, Sarah Morgan, Sharon Kendrick, Melanie Milburne, Amy Andrews & Marion Lennox (amongst others!) all began in Harlequin Medical.
- ...In Harlequin Medical we encourage a wide diversity of settings, nationalities and boundary-pushing themes.
- …#MedicalBlitz, our 2016 fast-track submissions initiative, received over 100 entries from prospective authors around the world.
...Our Medical Romance writers regularly win national
awards, including the RoNA Rose Award 2016 for Annie O’Neil’s DOCTOR…TO DUCHESS?, the Australian Romantic Book of the Year (RUBY) Award 2015 for Marion Lennox’s 100th title WAVES OF TEMPTATION, the RWNZ Koru Romance Book of the Year Award 2015 for FLIRTING WITH THE SOCIALITE DOC by Melanie Milburne and the very first winner of the Koru Romance Book of the Year Award for Louisa George’s HOW TO RESIST A HEARTBREAKER in 2014.
- ...there are 6 new Harlequin Medical Romance books available each month in both print and ebook format from www.Harlequin.com.
Read what we're publishing.
Senior Editor: Sheila Hodgson
Assistant Editor: Laura McCallen
Editorial Assistant: Tilda McDonald
Editorial Office: London, UK
N.B. Please note that as per current editorial policy we ask that
you do not submit more than one manuscript at a time for our consideration. Please be patient and wait for feedback
before submitting your next project.