ALL ABOUT HARLEQUIN ROMANCE
Harlequin Romance stories are all about real, relatable women and strong, deeply desirable men experiencing the intensity, anticipation and sheer rush of falling in love. Get swept away by these emotional, glamorous and uplifting romances!
- A Harlequin Romance novel is all about the heroine, she is key in this series. Our heroines need to be real and relatable, and her story should make the reader wish they were in the heroine’s shoes!
- We need a hero we can immediately trust, who is worthy of the heroine. Not all our heroes are super rich international tycoons (although some might be!) but they’re successful in their own right and should be a strong man our heroine would aspire to be with.
- Glamorous, international settings are encouraged and work well to add the aspirational element to our romances.
- We welcome heroes and heroines from all backgrounds and nationalities.
- Low sensuality: these stories are high on emotional and sensual tension but have no explicit sexual detail.
- Captivating internal emotional conflicts that will sustain the story over 50,000 words.
- Couple-focussed with minimal secondary characters to generate emotional depth and intensity.
- Delivers contemporary, fresh takes on classic romance themes.
- This is the home of feel-good, entertaining and fresh paced romance.
- Just because these romances are sweet, it doesn’t mean they can’t be edge-of-the-seat exciting! Throw your reader straight into the story!
Featured in Harlequin Romance
Some of our most popular storylines include: Cinderella (rags-to-riches), convenient marriages, runaway brides, weddings, pregnancy, secret babies, billionaires & millionaires, royalty, aristocracy, working together, falling for the boss, couples reunited, friends to lovers, amnesia, single dads, seasonal (e.g. Christmas and summer). Harlequin Romance no longer features small town and Western settings or cowboy and military heroes.
Harlequin Romance is…
One Fine Day for its warmth and tear jerking properties, The Notebook for its emotional depth, The Vow for its emotional conflicts, Dear John for its focus on the central relationship, Life as We Know It, The Proposal and The Back-Up Plan for their fresh storylines.
Did You Know?
- Harlequin Romance was the very first Harlequin series
- There are four new Harlequin Romance books available each month.
- We are actively seeking to acquire authors from underrepresented backgrounds and nationalities to reflect our diverse global readership. If you feel that’s you, and you have a story to tell that features the key elements above, then we would love to read it!
The Editorial Team
Senior Editor: Sheila Hodgson
Editor: Carly Byrne
Commissioning Editor: Vic Britton
Assistant Editor: Charlotte Ellis
Editorial Office: London, UK
Follow us on Twitter! @SheilaHodgsonMR @CarlyMByrne @EditorBritton @cellisharlequin
N.B. Please note that as per current editorial policy we ask that you do not submit more than one manuscript at a time for our consideration. Please be patient and wait for feedback before submitting your next project.
As with all Harlequin series, we read all submissions and you do not need to have an agent to submit.