These novels are romance-focused stories with a suspense element. Powerful romances are at the heart of each story, and the additional elements of excitement, adventure and suspense play out between complex characters.
Harlequin Romantic Suspense Key Elements
- Harlequin Romantic Suspense novels are fueled by the romance and not the suspense.
- Big, sweeping romances amid dangerous and suspenseful settings.
- Word count range of 70,000-75,000 means a wider breadth of story and potential for subplots that speak to the conflicts.
- Strong, compelling romance drives the stories but is matched by dramatic and layered plots.
- Classic themes include revenge, women in jeopardy, espionage, family, Westerns, military and law enforcement.
- Vivid conflicts, and stories can be set throughout the world.
- A range of sensuality from high to low, as well as romantic and sexual tension.
- Emotional payoff fits with the larger-than-life stories.
- No paranormal elements.
For explanations and tips about conflict, dialogue and emotion, please click on How to Write the Perfect Romance
Featured in Harlequin Romantic Suspense
Relatable heroines in extraordinary circumstances—swept into the arms of powerful heroes. Harlequin Romantic Suspense concentrates on the developing love story not the suspense. The hero should be a force to contend with, and the heroines are equally complex, strong and smart.
Harlequin Romantic Suspense is…
Criminal Minds or Bones or The Good Wife for their solid levels of story, three-dimensional characters and varying levels of suspense with strong romantic themes, witty dialogue and lives and hearts on the line.
Did You Know?
- Harlequin Romantic Suspense published three new authors in 2011.
- There are 4 new Harlequin Romantic Suspense books available each month.
- Follow the Harlequin Romantic Suspense editors on Twitter --
@PatienceBloom, @EmilyKrupin and @CarlyASilver
Read what we're publishing.
Senior Editor: Patience Bloom
Assistant Editor: Carly Silver
Editorial Assistant: Megan Broderick
Editorial Office: NY, NY