Editors continue to acquire new voices for Harlequin Special Edition; however, we are not reviewing submissions from Submittable currently.
Harlequin Special Edition features contemporary, real-life characters and situations—relatable men and women with friends, family and careers, as they experience the journey to true love.
Popular storylines include the challenges of having babies/raising children, especially in the case of single parents and multiples; family stories of all types; “fake” relationships for the sake of appearances; western settings and ranch stories; second chance at love; friends/enemies to lovers; and stories that expand on the romance to include extended family—children; parents; siblings; friends; and co-workers of the protagonists. And pets—especially when they play a key element in the story! We continue to look for diverse authors who can bring more varied backgrounds and characters to their story.
Harlequin Special Edition books…
- Feature characters from a range of backgrounds and lived experiences
- Leave you feeling optimistic, empowered and connected
- We want to see not just the main characters but where they come from--their parents, perhaps their siblings, their children if they have them, their friends and co-workers.
- Feature fresh twists on classic plot elements
- Include stories with a range of sensuality, from subtle to intense
- Emotional depth of both story and character is paramount
- Strong internal and external conflicts
- Word count of 70,000 - 75,000 words
If you love movies such as THE BIG SICK, THE WEDDING YEAR or SOMETHING FROM TIFFANY’S and authors like RaeAnne Thayne, Robyn Carr and early Kristin Higgins, then you might be a great fit for Special Edition!
Did You Know?
- New York Times bestselling authors such as Diana Palmer, Susan Mallery, and RaeAnne Thayne have written for Harlequin Special Edition, and still do!
- Harlequin Special Edition is always looking for the stars of tomorrow, and will publish six new authors in 2023-2024 alone!
- There are 4 new Harlequin Special Edition books available each month.
Find out more about Harlequin Special Edition before you submit by:
- Interacting with authors, editors, and readers on social media channels, WriteForHarlequin.com and the Facebook Harlequin Writing Community.
- Read our books! Here are some recently published recommendations:
– THE FATHER OF HER SONS by New York Times bestselling author Christine Rimmer
– HIS BABY NO MATTER WHAT by Melissa Senate
– MATCHED BY MASALA by Mona Shroff
– AN UNEXPECTED COWBOY by New York Times bestselling author Shannon Stacy
– CINDERELLA'S LAST STAND by Michelle Lindo-Rice
Senior Editor: Gail Chasan
Editor: Susan Litman @susan_litman
Assistant Editor: Megan Broderick @megbrod12
Editorial Office: New York, NY