Harlequin Superromance stories are big romance novels filled with intense relationships, real life drama and the kinds of unexpected events that change women's lives forever!
Superromance Key Elements
- A strong central romance that's big in scope and believable in execution. There can be a secondary romance and subplots.
- High emotional stakes. The characters' goals mean something to them, might force them to make difficult choices and might be in conflict with the romance.
- Characters and situations should feel familiar to readers. Even if the situations seem larger than life, the characters' reactions are believable.
- The hero and heroine should work for their happily ever after so give them obstacles and complications that need to be resolved. Remember: resolve issues by moving them to the next logical step, but don't wrap everything up in a neat bow!
- A sense of community. Paint a larger picture of the characters' lives by showing their relationships with family and friends, social lives and work. We welcome characters and themes with a diverse range of cultural backgrounds and challenges
- Tone can vary from the lighthearted to the deeply emotional, from family sagas to light suspense. The common thread is the complexity of plot and depth of character as well as the unique, contemporary treatment of the themes.
- Look at big cities as well as small towns. Even consider settings outside of North America.
- Word length: 80,000 words. Harlequin's longest contemporary series with a big book feel.
Featured in Harlequin Superromance
Relatable, true-to-life characters in high-stakes emotional situations—ones with genuine obstacles that require them to reexamine what they truly want from life. Harlequin Superromance books focus on the romance between the hero and heroine while also exploring the community and relationships around them.
Harlequin Superromance is…
Friday Night Lights, Parenthood, The Mindy Project, About a Boy (the TV show), Enough Said, The Good Wife, Love Actually, The Proposal, Serendipity, When Harry Met Sally, The Big Easy, The Vow, and No Reservations for their complex characters, layered plots, strong romance and high emotional stakes.
Did you know?
can follow @VictoriaCurran2, @KReidAssocEd and @piyacampana on Twitter
authors blog regularly at Superauthors.com
- There are four new Harlequin Superromance books available each month
- In 2014 Superromance published six brand-new authors
Read what we're publishing.
A Soldier's Pledge by Nadia Nicolls
Betting on the Rookie by Stephanie Doyle
A Mother's Claim by Janice Kay Johnson
Breaking Emily's Rules by Heatherly Bell
She's Far From Hollywood by Jo McNally
Senior Editor: Victoria Curran @VictoriaCurran2
Editor: Karen Reid @KReidAssocEd
Assistant Editor: Piya Campana @piyacampana
Administrative Assistant: Deirdre McCluskey @Deirdre33
Editorial Office: Toronto, Canada