We're looking for new authors for Harlequin Medical Romance and we want YOUR fresh, vibrant voice! Submit your contemporary Harlequin Medical Romance submission by Friday, March 29, 2019. Get a response, including editorial feedback, by Friday, April 12, 2019!
Do you adore uplifting, relatable, life-affirming romances set amid the pulse-racing drama of saving lives? Harlequin Medical Romance offers stories in which you’ll experience the rollercoaster of emotions, ambitions and desires of today’s medical professionals. We’re on the lookout for new authors and you could be the next member of the fabulous Harlequin Medical Romance family! We publish 50,000-word contemporary medical romances that whisk readers into engaging medical settings around the world. Relatable, dedicated, empathetic characters, captivating emotional drama, and an unforgettable love story are a must! Check out our full guidelines below.
What you need to know:
- The Harlequin Medical Romance Blitz will run from Friday 15th March – Friday 29th March 2019.
- We’re looking for a query letter that introduces you and your book and includes any previous publishing credits, first chapter and complete synopsis only – no need to have the full manuscript written!
- If we love your voice, we’ll invite you to submit further chapters and work with you on developing your story to its full potential. Please note that requests for additional chapters are not a guarantee of publication.
- Please submit your entry at Harlequin.submittable.com, “Harlequin Medical Romance Blitz”. This page will be live from Friday 15th March – Friday 29th March 2019.
- Only one submission per person.
- All submissions will receive editorial feedback by 5pm GMT on Friday 12th April 2019.
- We will not use your chapter entries in any way other than in connection to the Harlequin Medical Romance Blitz.
- Skip the slush pile and hear back from us within TWO WEEKS after the submission period ends! Every submission will receive a response by Friday, 12th April 2019.
- Editorial feedback for EVERY Harlequin Medical Romance submission we receive.
- The possibility of having your novel published in the global Harlequin Medical Romance line! We will request to see more of the manuscripts which show the most promise for the series.
Check out soyouthinkyoucanwrite.com and follow the editorial team on Twitter @SheilaHodgsonMR, @EditorBritton and @cellisharlequin for writing tips and exclusive content!
Want to see the full guidelines? Here they are:
Intense, uplifting and relatable romances set in the medical world. Experience the rollercoaster of emotions, ambitions and desires of today's medical professionals.
We are committed to publishing for our diverse global readership, and are actively seeking to acquire authors from underrepresented backgrounds. If you feel that’s you, and you have a story to tell that features the key elements below, then we would love to read it!
As with all Harlequin series, we read all submissions and you do not need to have an agent to submit
Harlequin Medical Romance Key Elements
- Contemporary romance novels set in the medical world.
- Focus of the story must be on the development of the central romantic relationship against the backdrop of a contemporary medical setting.
- Dynamic and dedicated medical professional heroes at the top of their game with hearts of gold and smart, professional, empathetic, modern-day heroines.
- Heroes and heroines who work together in a medical setting – their working relationship, medical dramas etc. help to drive the romantic relationship.
- Contemporary, international medical settings are, however, integral to the story, and the central relationship should rise out of them.
- A range of sensuality from intensely passionate to warm and tender.
- An emotionally intense read, ranging from the traditional to the ground breaking.
- Innovative emotional conflicts and traditional emotional themes developed in a unique way are all welcome.
- Word count of 50,000.
Featured in Harlequin Medical Romance
A strong focus on the central romantic relationship. Relatable heroines and heroes in a medical setting – pulse-racing medical drama that throws them together is crucial. Dedicated top-notch docs, hot-shot surgeons, fearless first responders and equally matched, warm hearted, intelligent and real heroines, who reach all levels and areas of medical life. Engaging medical settings and situations around the world from cozy GP practices and maternity to intense ER and first response, all with a strong sense of community. We find them everywhere – heart and transplant surgeries, city hospitals, pediatrics, IVF clinics, jungle or outback settings and humanitarian missions. Doctors to the stars, royalty or presidents, etc. The characters, their romance, the settings and the drama must be appealing and accessible to a global readership.
Harlequin Medical Romance is…
House, Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, The Night Shift, The Good Karma Hospital and Doctors for their tone, medical settings and scenarios, complex characters with strong romantic themes, great dialogue and lives and hearts on the edge. However, the key difference is that the focus of each Medical Romance story is first and foremost a heart-racing romance. The novels offer a wealth of experiences: from the high-octane excitement of the ER to the warmth of family GP practice.
Did You Know?
…Carol Marinelli, Sarah Morgan, Sharon Kendrick, Melanie Milburne, Amy Andrews & Marion Lennox (amongst others!) all began their published writing careers in Harlequin Medical Romance.
…In Harlequin Medical we encourage a wide diversity of settings, nationalities, physicalities and boundary-pushing themes.
...Our Medical Romance writers regularly win national awards, including the RoNA Rose Award, the Romance Writers of Australia Book of the Year Award (RUBY) and the Romance Writers of New Zealand Koru Romance Book of the Year Award.
...There are 6 new Harlequin Medical Romance books available each month in both print and eBook format from www.Harlequin.com.
Senior Editor: Sheila Hodgson
Commissioning Editor: Vic Britton
Editor: Carly Byrne
Assistant Editor: Charlotte Ellis
Editorial Office: London, UK
Full Terms and Conditions:
- This event is promoted by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (“HarperCollins/we/our”) of The News Building, 1 London Bridge Street, London, SE1 9GF.
- This event is open to residents anywhere in the world as long as the submission is written in the English Language, except employees of HarperCollins (or their parent, subsidiaries or any affiliated companies) and their immediate families, who are not allowed to enter the event.
- The Harlequin Medical Romance Blitz will run from Friday 15th March 2019 – Friday 29th March 2019.
- We’re looking for a cover letter that introduces you and your book and includes any previous publishing credits, first chapter and complete synopsis only – no need to have the full manuscript written!
- If we love the voice, we'll invite you to submit further chapters and work with you on developing your story to its full potential. Please note that requests for additional chapters are not a guarantee of publication and we would enter into a separate author agreement with you if publication is envisaged.
- Please submit your submission at harlequin.submittable.com, ‘Harlequin Medical Romance Blitz’. This page will be live from 00.01 on Friday 15th March 2019 – 23.59 GMT on Friday 29th March 2019. No submissions received after this date will be accepted. We will be unable to return copies of your submissions so please ensure you have a copy saved before submitting.
- Only one submission per person. Any submission containing incorrect, false or unreadable information will not be reviewed. Any submissions made on behalf of or for another person or multiple submissions will not be reviewed.
- All submissions must be aimed at readers of Harlequin Medical Romance. Typically in these books we would expect to see the following elements:
o Engaging stories set in medical settings and situations around the world from cosy GP practices and maternity to intense ER and first response, as well as the more out of the ordinary medical settings in different parts of the world so don’t be afraid to think outside the box
o Our heroes and heroines work together in a medical setting so their working relationship and the medical drama helps to drive the romantic relationship, but the central romance should always be at the heart of the story
o A Medical hero is a dynamic and dedicated life-saver with a heart of gold, who learns how to love and be loved through his relationship with the heroine
o When it comes to the Medical heroine, she is professional, smart, empathetic and real, she’s everything a modern woman can relate to and aspire to be.
o Medical Romance stories have a range of sensuality levels - from low, no explicit sex, but with strong sensual chemistry, to steamy detailed sex but always combined with high emotional engagement
o Although the stories are set in medical settings, we don’t want any gore in our stories – it’s romance after all!
- All submissions will receive editorial feedback by 5pm GMT on Friday 12th April 2019.
- For the avoidance of doubt you will retain all copyright in your submission unless further contractual assignments are entered into. We will not use your chapter submissions for any purpose other than in connection to the Harlequin Medical Romance Blitz.
- HarperCollins’ decision as to who to ask to submit further chapters shall be final.
- By submitting your work you are agreeing to accept these Terms and Conditions. Any breach of these Terms and Conditions by you will mean that your submission will not be valid, and you will not be allowed to enter this event.
- When you submit work for this event, you are voluntarily supplying your personal data to HarperCollins and HarperCollins will store and use your personal data for the purposes of administering this event including, but not limited to, transferring your personal data outside of the EEA.
- Under no circumstances will HarperCollins be responsible for any loss, damages, costs or expenses arising from or in any way connected with any errors, defects, interruptions, malfunctions or delays in the event or sending feedback.
- HarperCollins will not be responsible unless required by law, for any loss, changes, costs or expenses, which may arise in connection with this event and HarperCollins can cancel or alter the event at any stage.
- Any dispute relating to the event shall be governed by the laws of England and Wales and will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.